Sunday, September 6, 2009

Taking the "high" way home

On the crowded G train on my way home from church tonight, I sat in between two young men. Across from us was another young man, whom I could tell was their friend. It only took a moment for me to realize that these boys were very high. They must have smoked many a blunt in an enclosed room for hours for their clothes to absorb so much of the odor. I looked to my right, then across at the boy on the other bench and said, "man are you boys high." To which I received a smile, then a laugh and a turn away. I also mentioned that if we rode many stops together, I was afraid I was going to get high just sitting next to them! (I didn't.)

We spoke for a couple of minutes, mostly me talking and them looking back at me all paranoid. (The boy sitting next to me did ask me a couple of questions, so at least he was following what I was talking about.) It was a situation that I wished I could have helped or influenced or encouraged them in some way. Explain that there is more to life than getting high. But trying to talk to someone when they're lit, probably isn't the best timing. I did pray for them. And who knows? Maybe I did touch them in some way.

No comments: